I have been blessed to have two healthy children. Both kids have had a few times of being sick with colds, flu, and one has had ear infections. The thing with most of it is there is something you can give them to make them feel better. To take the pain away and let them have a little peace. As we have had to deal with the Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease my admiration and heartache for parents with children that have serious illnesses has grown.
Last night we gave Katelyn Benadryl before bed hoping it would help her sleep. She woke up several times in the first couple hours. The first was sobbing that her hands hurt. So we decided to try ice to numb them. It worked and she relaxed until her feet started to hurt and so we put ice on again. I sat on her bed holding her feet crying because I could not take her pain away. There was nothing I could do to make it stop. She was crying because her whole body hurt. I finally looked at Boston and said "Please give her a blessing. There is nothing we can do, but Heavenly Father can. I just cane watch my daughter hurt." So he gave her a blessing and she crawled to me and laid down in my arms and finally relaxed to fall asleep. I held her for an hour thanking the Lord for letting her finally sleep. She has not slept the night before or took a nap and finally she was able to just sleep.
About my earlier comment later as I was thinking I thought of parents that have to see this and can't do anything. They wait and watch and hurt and I can't even imagine. My daughter has been in bad pain for 2 days and my heart was breaking that I couldn't take the pain away. I just kept thinking even being pregnant I would rather be going through the pain then watching my child do it. I can't imagine weeks-months-years of watching my child go through pain and not being able to do anything. Let them go to treatment after treatment praying something would help. Then I thought of Heavenly Father and as he watched his Son in Gethsemane take all the pains and sins of the world on him. Not being able to intervene since that is how it had to be. Then watching him be tortured, ridiculed, and crucified.
How grateful I am for those strong parents and how grateful I am for the Power of the Priesthood and a husband who keeps himself worthy to be able to give a blessing when needed. I am also for a loving Heavenly Father and for a brother that would experience all the pains and sins of the world so we can live again.